Me with my siblings on the occasion of my 60th birthday, ten years ago
How Many Miles to Babylon?
There was a nursery rhyme when I was a kid, which went:
How many miles to Babylon?
Three score and ten.
Can I get there by
candle-light?
Yes, and back again.
There are various versions of the rhyme, some with a
different destination in the first line, but I think the most commonly known
one was Babylon. I don’t know whether the lyric should be taken literally or
whether some symbolism was intended. If internet sources can be said to have a
consensus, it seems that it was written to be taken literally as a sincere
query. However, for me it does have symbolism of life’s journey, this month in
particular.
This is because later in August, I reach my biblical sell-by
date of 70, three score and ten. I am rather aware, particularly in Taekwondo
classes, that my back and hips aren’t what they used to be. Generally, although
I bounced back after last year’s hormone treatment and radiotherapy, at this
age, you never come back 100% from a hit. A couple of friends have died
recently, and a sure sign that I’ve got mortality on my mind, my parents are
alive again in my dreams at night.
On a more down to earth subject, my teeth are also feeling
their age. The amount of money I’ve spent on dentistry recently doesn’t bear
thinking about. In my oral cavity I sport a depleted patchwork of misshapen
choppers. I think there’s a redundancy there. Where else would I have these
decrepit gnashers than in my oral cavity? No, don’t answer that.
I’m having rather a quiet 70th birthday. Both
boys will come over and we’ll have a barbecue in the garden, weather
permitting. The following week, however, we will sail to the Hook of Holland
and have a long weekend in the Hague (not in the dock of the International
Criminal Court, I hasten to add).
Let me tell you about a recent embarrassing event which I am
hoping isn’t a sign of age-related deterioration of my cognitive function. For
our wedding anniversary, 30th June, we planned to go to the theatre.
Our choice was Amadeus, with the brilliant Michael Sheen as Salieri. I
went online, booked it, no bother, good seats in the stalls, got the email
receipt saying, ‘Your tickets will arrive nearer the time of the performance.’
On the day before, I got rather jumpy as nothing had arrived. I registered and
logged in to Delfont Mackintosh Theatres, and found that I had reserved tickets
for the 30th June, 2027, NOT 2026. Smart boy wanted. It should have
occurred to me that it was too easy to get good seats for such a prestigious
performance so near to the time.
All was not lost, however, we went to see Oh Mary at
the Trafalgar theatre instead and laughed our heads off. And that’s next year’s
wedding anniversary sorted already.
The incident reminded me of something in my days as a trade
union officer. Laurie Sapper, the General Secretary of the Association of
University Teachers in the 1970s and early 80s, used to say, ‘Old professors
never die. They just lose their faculties.’
Quiz lore
Linda, Tom and myself were doing the Guardian quiz at the
weekend, and one of the questions was, ‘Who was the only Jesuit pope?’ None of
us had any idea, but Tom suggested ‘Popey Mc Popeface’. Inspired.
A while back, I tried to assemble a series of spoof quiz
questions. I can only remember three of them:
1.
How hard would you have to push a child on a
swing to make him/her go a full 360 degrees over the bar?
2.
If you dropped a stone over the banisters, how
fast would you have to run down the stairs for it to hit you on the head?
3.
What did the soldiers in the wooden horse of
Troy do when they needed the lavvy?
August poem
I think this one has appeared before, so I repeat it here
just for completeness. Coincidentally, the sentiment in it is quite apposite to
the remarks above about ageing.
Both last month’s and this month’s poem hark back to my
past, this month’s to my childhood, July’s to my lovesick teenage years. I am
reminded of what Thomas Pynchon said in his introduction to Slow Learner, a
collection of his early short stories. Pynchon, America’s most imaginative and
innovative (and maddest) writer of the 20th century was overly critical of his
early work, but he did say something that we often feel about our younger
selves. I certainly feel it about my younger self. I may not have the exact
wording, but it went something like this: ‘If I met this guy coming down the
street today, how would I feel about lending him money, or even having a couple
of beers and talking about the old days?’
Anyway, here goes.
August
Long way
A gap in the trees, a view across
the plain.
Golden on the distant river,
sunlight
Of an August afternoon begins to
wane.
The children hear the wings of
coming night.
Time to go home: three miles over
woodland,
Scrub and field. We must get home
for tea.
At sinks and hobs and ovens,
mothers stand
To feed us all, to shield the
family.
Fifty years on, we see the same
sun glow.
We turn and look to home. The
fading light
Tells us it is time to return, but
no.
We’ve gone too far to get back
before night.

Comments
Post a Comment